Winstanley v Ten Berge: Over The Top of the 180s
Dean Winstanley is looking to go one better at Lakeside this year after reaching the final 12 months ago on his debut in the BDO World Championships. He kicks off that quest with an opening round match against one of eight Dutchman at Frimley Green, Joey ten Berge.
The Rotherham man has enjoyed a promising year since his runner-up finish last season. A run to the World Masters final, where he lost to Scott Waites, in September was built upon with an impressive performance at the Grand Slam of Darts two months later.
There he beat Ted Hankey, Ian White and Raymond van Barneveld on his way to topping a difficult group with a 100% record. Then he was narrowly edged out by Mark Walsh, 10-9, in an enthralling last-16 match.
The backbone of Over The Top’s game is his power scoring ability. During the Grand Slam he hit an impressive 11 180s in just 21 group stage legs, before hitting six in his last-16 match. Last year at Lakeside he hit more maximums than anyone else in the competition; nine more than Martin Adams who hit the second most.
If Ten Berge can chip in with at least one then we shouldn’t have any problems breaking the 5.5 barrier at the Even money odds Paddy Power are offering. A more conservative option is to back the 4/6 available on Winstanley hitting more 180s than the Dutchman.
• O'Shea v Kist: A worthy final to savour
• Hankey v Kist: Terrible Ted too tough for Kist
• O'Shea v Harms: The year of the Silverback
• Kist v Norris: Dutch delight for Vroomshoop flinger
• Hankey v Atkins: Count to take out the Assassin
• Harms v Jennings: Sparky has lit up Lakeside
• O'Shea v Adams: Wolf to tame Silverback
• Waites v Hankey: You can Count on Ted
• Kist v De Vos: Dutchman to Kist the lipstick
• Winstanley v Norris: Chuck your money Over The Top
• Adams v Stone: Champ to cruise through
• O'Shea v Montgomery: Ross to Boss the 180s
• Green v Harms: Seeded duo to go all the way
• Van de Pas v Norris: Chuck to use experience
• Waites v Boulton: Waites has Scott the lot
• Hankey v Barden: Out for the Count
• Phillips v Harms: Welshman to keep Wes at Harms length
• Adams v Mitchell: First round tester for the champ
• Fitton v Green: Dazzling Darryl to get off to a flyer