Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
Both Adrian Lewis and Mark Webster won their last-16 matches by a 10-8 scoreline. However, the triumphs came about in entirely contrasting circumstances.
Lewis raced into a 9-3 lead over John Part before, self-admittedly, taking his foot off the gas and allowing the Canadian to peg it back to 9-8. With the match tipping in Part’s favour he did, however, rediscover his verve and take the match 10-8.
Webster, on the other hand, came back from 8-5 down against fellow Welshman Martin Phillips to win five legs on the bounce and book his place in the last eight. While Webster knows he cannot afford to give Lewis such a sizeable lead, Jackpot will be aware that he cannot take his foot off the gas should he obtain an advantage.
There’s been a lot made of Lewis’s supposed return to form this week. Although he was unquestionably sublime against Co Stompe, his other three matches this week have been nothing spectacular. Following last night’s match I’m starting to think that maybe the performance against Stompe was an exception, rather than the rule.
Although Lewis’s raw ability makes him a deserved favourite there has to be value in opposing him at odds of 2/5. The pair have met 11 times previously with the World Champion shading the advantage 6-5, although Webster won the most recent meeting.
He’ll need to be at his best but at odds of 9/4 the darts betting value is in siding with the Welshman to progress to the semis. Lewis just hasn’t been consistent enough.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up