Waites v Boulton: Waites has Scott the lot
Scott Waites looks to round off a superb season on the BDO circuit with the biggest title of them all, and begins his world title quest with an opening round match against Andy Boulton.
The 2010 Grand Slam winner has already taken the World Masters, WDF World Cup and Zuiderduin Masters this season. The icing on the cake being victory over his former nemesis Martin Adams in each of those tournaments, a man he could usurp as the BDO’s number one in little over a week’s time.
In the recent Zuiderduin Masters victory he averaged in excess of 97 while beating Darryl Fitton 5-4 in a thrilling final. On that form, and the form he has shown throughout this season, he should have no problems here.
Having said that, Boulton is no mug at the oche. He showcased his credentials at the UK Open last summer where he reached the last 16, beating Vincent van der Voort along the way, and also added the Scottish National Championships title to his name earlier in the campaign.
But he is a relative novice on the World Championship stage and Waites’ superiority and class should shine through. There were three 3-0 scorelines on a one-sided opening day at Lakeside on Saturday; this one looks like it could go the same way.
• O'Shea v Kist: A worthy final to savour
• Hankey v Kist: Terrible Ted too tough for Kist
• O'Shea v Harms: The year of the Silverback
• Kist v Norris: Dutch delight for Vroomshoop flinger
• Hankey v Atkins: Count to take out the Assassin
• Harms v Jennings: Sparky has lit up Lakeside
• O'Shea v Adams: Wolf to tame Silverback
• Waites v Hankey: You can Count on Ted
• Kist v De Vos: Dutchman to Kist the lipstick
• Winstanley v Norris: Chuck your money Over The Top
• Adams v Stone: Champ to cruise through
• O'Shea v Montgomery: Ross to Boss the 180s
• Green v Harms: Seeded duo to go all the way
• Van de Pas v Norris: Chuck to use experience
• Winstanley v Ten Berge: Over The Top of the 180s
• Hankey v Barden: Out for the Count
• Phillips v Harms: Welshman to keep Wes at Harms length
• Adams v Mitchell: First round tester for the champ
• Fitton v Green: Dazzling Darryl to get off to a flyer