Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
After roller coaster rides in both Groups C and D, the former finished as it would largely have been expected to, whereas very few would have expected James Wade to be pushed off the top of the latter by Terry Jenkins.
Due to the resurgence of The Bull, The Machine has been handed the toughest draw he could have received in Gary Anderson, who, after a below-par performance in his opening game saw him lose to Nigel Heydon, returned to form in style by dispatching Brendan Dolan and then Wayne Jones, each by five legs to one.
With the format stretching to a best-of-19-legs in the second round, it bears a close resemblance to the length of a Premier League match, which of course these two both competed in earlier this year and Anderson won. In fact, on his way to lifting the title, the Scotsman defeated Wade in both of their clashes, 8-3 and then 8-6.
It is not just in the Premier League that Anderson has had the edge over the world number three, as ever since their first meeting back in 2005, The Flying Scotsman has gone about The Machine like a vengeful Luddite, beating him in 13 of their 18 matches.
Wade’s form has improved over the year since his disappointing Premier League though and this one is set to be a really close affair, and the pick of Thursday night’s action.
The bookies have all gone with Gary Anderson to pick up the win, but James Wade has been far more consistent in the big tournaments ever since the Premier League and I think backing him at 6/5 is a worthwhile bet.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up