Van de Pas v Norris: Chuck to use experience
Dutchman Benito van de Pas makes his Lakeside debut against Alan Norris as the youngest player in the tournament. Still only 18, his climb up the rankings to claim the number 14 seed spot for this year’s championship has been aided by victories at the German Open and semi-final appearances at the 2011 England Open, Swiss Open and BDO International Open.
Aside from that, however, there isn’t a great deal of top-level past form to go off for the youngster, save from a group stage win over Tony West at the Zuiderduin Masters. Norris, on the other hand, is now an established name on the BDO circuit and will be making his fourth appearance at Frimley Green this year.
In 2009 Norris reached the semi-finals of the Zuiderduin Masters and has won his opening round match at Lakeside on two of the three occasions that he has played here.
Despite being the seeded player Van de Pas is made the outsider in the betting. And that seems fair given his inexperience. Norris has a solid game – he’s averaged in the high 80s in each of his first round appearances here – and can make that experience pay.
• O'Shea v Kist: A worthy final to savour
• Hankey v Kist: Terrible Ted too tough for Kist
• O'Shea v Harms: The year of the Silverback
• Kist v Norris: Dutch delight for Vroomshoop flinger
• Hankey v Atkins: Count to take out the Assassin
• Harms v Jennings: Sparky has lit up Lakeside
• O'Shea v Adams: Wolf to tame Silverback
• Waites v Hankey: You can Count on Ted
• Kist v De Vos: Dutchman to Kist the lipstick
• Winstanley v Norris: Chuck your money Over The Top
• Adams v Stone: Champ to cruise through
• O'Shea v Montgomery: Ross to Boss the 180s
• Green v Harms: Seeded duo to go all the way
• Winstanley v Ten Berge: Over The Top of the 180s
• Waites v Boulton: Waites has Scott the lot
• Hankey v Barden: Out for the Count
• Phillips v Harms: Welshman to keep Wes at Harms length
• Adams v Mitchell: First round tester for the champ
• Fitton v Green: Dazzling Darryl to get off to a flyer