Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
These so-called grudge matches between Phil Taylor and Paul Nicholson are coming around so regularly and concluding so one sided that they are becoming a bit monotonous.
Sky will, undoubtedly, do their best to hype it up. But the match-up has lost its spark. Taylor has been so dominant – winning their last eight meetings since the UK Open – that there is an air of inevitability out this particular match.
I don’t doubt that Nicholson will have learned a lot from recent losses to The Power. He is that type of player. However, I do not think that he has learned enough, yet, to reverse his fortunes.
Taylor has improved steadily throughout the tournament and blew Wes Newton away with a 112.37 three-dart average on Friday night. Nobody in the game is capable of living with the relentless pressure that darts of that type of quality produces.
At odds of 1/9 few are expecting anything other than a ninth consecutive victory for The Power. The question must be whether he can break the handicap. With the quarters being a race to 16 legs Bet365 are giving The Asset a 6.5 legs head start at odds of 4/5, but even that looks a little stingy.
However, there is value in the 180s match bet market. Perhaps surprisingly for a player that is not a notorious power scorer Nicholson has hit the most 180s (16) of any player heading into the quarter-finals. Some seven more than Taylor has managed in his four matches so far. At odds of 11/8 we’ll have a bit of Nicholson to hit the most maximums.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up