Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
If both these players hit their straps this afternoon then we could be in for an all-time classic. Phil Taylor’s form has looked increasingly ominous throughout the Grand Slam, while Adrian Lewis has shown flashes of his unquestionable brilliance.
One thing is for sure; Lewis will need to be at his best to take down Taylor on current form. They have met in front of the cameras four times this calendar year, with each player winning twice. On the two occasions that the youngster has emerged victorious – Premier League group stages and semi-finals – Taylor has been out of sorts.
He has shown no signs of suffering a similar slump this week and I expect he’ll be at his best again this Sunday. So the question becomes; can Lewis produce his best and push Taylor into making mistakes?
The answer, unfortunately, is maybe. Which makes betting on this match a tricky proposition. At stages throughout this tournament Jackpot has shown his ability to pepper the treble 20 bed, at other times he’s been ruthless checking out numbers circa 100; only against Co Stompe did he combine the two.
If he can do so again then he’ll beat Taylor. Of that I’m sure. If either one, or both, of those aspects of his game are missing then Taylor will win. Of that I’m also sure.
On that basis I think William Hill’s 10/3 on Lewis to win the match has to be worth backing. But only to small stakes. Lewis has the game to beat anyone, The Power included, but when or if he brings it to the stage or not is one of darts’ great unknowns.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up