Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
A real crunch game in Group H as the Dutchman and the Welshman take to the oche to decide who will join the World Champion in qualifying from one of the toughest pools in the tournament.
Both Stompe and Phillips have suffered at the hands of Adrian Lewis, but equally they have both dispatched the man widely expected to come second in the group, Vincent van der Voort, showing that they are both playing well. Phillips’ 5-2 defeat of the big Dutchman was certainly impressive, and even though Stompe went down 5-1 to Lewis on Monday night, he didn’t disgrace himself at all, but was just unlucky to face a firing Jackpot.
These two have only squared off once before, on this very stage back in 2009 when the Matchstick narrowly defeated his BDO adversary by five legs to four, and I would expect it to be a similarly tight affair as both desperately scrap for the last 16 slot and the £7,500 that goes with it.
The bookies seem to agree as the majority can’t separate the two and not a single one will offer a price against either to win, with the best on either being 10/11.
With the extremely competitive nature of the clash, value bets are hard to dig out, however, the match is likely to be so close I would be tempted to back both 5-4 to Stompe and 5-4 to Phillips which are each at 5/1 with Betfred. If backed equally and one comes off then you can’t lose, and I reckon this one will go the whole nine legs.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up