Phillips v Harms: Welshman to keep Wes at Harms length
One of the matches that brings the BDO seeding methods into some question is the clash between the veteran and unseeded Welshman Martin Phillips and the World Championships debutant and 13th seed Wesley Harms.
Phillips has been a semi-finalist in both the previous two years at Lakeside and will be making his 11th appearance in the competition when he takes to the stage on Sunday evening.
His last two campaigns have been painfully ended by the eventual champion Martin Adams who has twice beaten him 6-4 in the penultimate contest before the final and cost the Wales captain a chance of competing in the organisation’s showpiece match.
The 51-year-old tends to pick and choose the events he competes in and has had a fairly quiet year, but he really showed some form competing with the PDC boys in the Grand Slam of Darts back in November. He saw off Co Stompe and Vincent van der Voort to progress from the group stage before narrowly losing to compatriot Mark Webster in the second round, a performance that saw him pick up the biggest cheque of his career outside of the World Championships.
The form of Harms has also been impressive this year, and he peaked in June when he won the International Open, including wins over Dean Winstanley, Garry Thompson and Stephen Bunting. Semi-final appearances at the Isle of Man and Swiss Opens have also helped him to rise up the BDO rankings in time for the World Championships.
The Dutchman is clearly playing well, but the tournament odds being offered sum up the disparity between the players as you can back Harms at 100/1 with some bookies, whilst others are offering the lower ranked Phillips at 12/1.
Backing Phillips at 2/5 doesn’t seem like great value, so I would take him to win with a -1.5 handicap at 9/10 with Boylesports.
• O'Shea v Kist: A worthy final to savour
• Hankey v Kist: Terrible Ted too tough for Kist
• O'Shea v Harms: The year of the Silverback
• Kist v Norris: Dutch delight for Vroomshoop flinger
• Hankey v Atkins: Count to take out the Assassin
• Harms v Jennings: Sparky has lit up Lakeside
• O'Shea v Adams: Wolf to tame Silverback
• Waites v Hankey: You can Count on Ted
• Kist v De Vos: Dutchman to Kist the lipstick
• Winstanley v Norris: Chuck your money Over The Top
• Adams v Stone: Champ to cruise through
• O'Shea v Montgomery: Ross to Boss the 180s
• Green v Harms: Seeded duo to go all the way
• Van de Pas v Norris: Chuck to use experience
• Winstanley v Ten Berge: Over The Top of the 180s
• Waites v Boulton: Waites has Scott the lot
• Hankey v Barden: Out for the Count
• Adams v Mitchell: First round tester for the champ
• Fitton v Green: Dazzling Darryl to get off to a flyer