Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
Whilst the tournament might be all over for Barrie Bates, it is very much still alive for Wes Newton, and he must pick up a win over the Welshman to confirm his progress to the knockout stages.
The Warrior has looked good so far in Wolverhampton as he strolled past Magnus Caris 5-2 and then was unlucky to lose an extremely high quality match by a single leg against a relentless Paul Nicholson on Monday night.
Bates, in comparison has continued his woeful form of the last year or so in Group F of the Grand Slam, which has seen him pick up just one leg in his two games so far. It has been a very tough time for Champagne Barrie over the last few months as he continues to struggle with arthritis that is clearly affecting his game; he has not gone beyond the last 32 in any tournament in 2011.
Unfortunately for the man who reached the World Cup Final with Wales last year, this major disadvantage is likely to make it a very one-sided contest against a man ranked seventh in the world and who needs a win to secure passage into the last 16 (still potentially as group winner if Magnus Caris does him a favour by beating Nicholson).
This is why the best price on a Newton win is as stingy as 1/8 and really not worth thinking about as a single bet. What is much more tempting is the 4/5 SkyBet are offering on Newton to win with a -3.5 handicap, which, without being too harsh on Bates, seems quite likely.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up