New darts give Snakebite improved confidence
Peter Wright is in high spirits ahead of his PDC World Championships first round match against Jelle Klaasen after switching to a new set of ‘magical’ darts.
Wright used the darts at the Players Championship Finals last weekend where he posted a 103 three-dart average in his opening match before losing narrowly to Wes Newton in the second round.
“These are like magic wands,” Wright told Sportinglife.com.
“They've put a few grooves in with three at the back and two at the front. I texted Lee who makes the darts and I said 'what magic dust have you put on these because these are absolutely brilliant'.
“They can do a lot of damage.”
Snakebite reached the last 16 of last year’s tournament, defeating Co Stompe and Paul Nicholson before Phil Taylor comprehensively defeated him. But the Lowestoft tungsten-chucker has improved immensely in the past 12 months, and fancies his chances this of upsetting the odds this time around.
“People say I was the only one to push him [Taylor] at the Grand Prix and I should have beaten him, although I know it was over a short format.
“Even in the worlds I had a run of really good legs against him but with these darts I will give him a better game than last time I played him.”
Wright is in the opposite half of the draw to Taylor this year and therefore would need to reach the final in order to meet The Power at Ally Pally. He is quoted at odds of 200/1 to win the world title and 66/1 to reach the final.
• Whitlock v Hamilton: Progressive Hammer offers value
• Lewis v Wade: Machine has edge over Jackpot
• Hamilton v Huybrechts: Hurricane has got darts in a spin
• Whitlock v Anderson: A potential classic
• Part v Wade: Omens are good for Darth Maple
• Lewis v Jenkins: Bull to charge Jackpot
• Anderson v Lloyd: Jaws to snap Scot's dreams
• Chisnall v Hamilton: After the Lord Mayor's show
• Whitlock v Van Gerwen: Mighty Mike too quick for wounded Wizard
• Nicholson v Huybrechts: Asset to tame The Hurricane
• Wade v Farmer: Machine to halt Farmer
• Part v Painter: Heavyweight match could go either way
• Jenkins v Pipe: The Bull to be Forced out
• Lewis v Jones: Wanderer to push Jackpot
• Rand v Lloyd: Jaws unable to snap Cool Hand
• Whitlock v Beaton: Wizard too hot for Adonis
• King v Van Gerwen: Merv has his game face on
• Nicholson v Tabern Betting
• Burnett v Part: Champions to battle to the death
• Jenkins v Stompe: In-form duo to go the distance
• Van der Voort v Hamilton: Hammer to knock out Lightening
• Taylor v Chisnall: Chizzy to push The Power
• Wade v Klaasen: Machine to show his Klaas
• Painter v Walsh: Maximums aplenty in long match
• Lewis v Thornton: A Thorn in the Champ's side
• Jones v Scholten: Tripod to destabilise The Wanderer
• Newton v Pipe: The Force is with The Warrior
• Whitlock v Smith: Wizard to cast his spell
• Osborne v Van Gerwen: Mighty Mike looks mighty fine
• Smith v Rand: Evenly matched players to go the distance
• Anderson v Artut: No dramas for Dreamboy
• Lloyd v Young: Colin in the Jaws of defeat
• Painter v Monk: After the Lord Mayor's show
• Hamilton v Alcinas: El Dartador to knock out the Hammer
• Van Barneveld v Richardson: Dutch delight at favourite venue
• Chisnall v Dudbridge: Chizzy to finish it in a Flash
• Nicholson v Suljovic: Maximums to flow
• Baxter v Farmer: Tight match to produce maximums
• Van der Voort v Hylton: Mile High provides the value
• Thornton v White: Diamond to rough up the Thorn
• Wright v Klaasen: Jelle wobbling on a slippery slope
• Stompe v Smith: Matchstick to burn brightly
• Pipe v Reed: Justin to Force out Reed
• Caven v Scholten: Jabba the punt
• Lewis v Heydon: Champ to progress in facile fashion
• Webster v Burnett: Spider to boss battle of the valleys
• Barney sets sights on focussing mind
• Taylor odds unaltered despite early exit