Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
The reigning champion begins the defence of his trophy with an opponent that has become very hard to predict over the last few years on the PDC tour. Michael van Gerwen is still only 22 years old and will be competing in the World Youth Championship final next year, but it seems he has failed to quite live up to the early promise he showed when he became the youngest ever winner of the World Masters at just 17.
Last 32 appearances at the UK Open and the European Championships show that Mighty Mike can compete with the best but he didn’t qualify for either the Grand Prix or the Matchplay, which suggests he isn’t doing it on a consistent basis.
The Dutchman was involved in this event last year and didn’t fair too well at all, losing all three of his matches in the group stage, admittedly in a tough draw alongside Taylor, Hankey and Newton.
Scott Waites, on the other hand, has had a much more successful year over in the BDO. After picking up the £100,000 winners cheque at last year’s Grand Slam he has gone on to win the British and Swedish Opens, the WDF World Cup and the World Masters (all of which added together earned him less than half of his Grand Slam winnings).
Unsurprisingly, Scotty 2 Hotty has been made heavy favourite for the contest, with a best price being 2/5, that seems about right, but obviously won’t tempt too many punters in. I would expect Van Gerwen to pick up a couple of legs on his own throw (he wasn’t whitewashed in any of his matches last year) so odds of 4/1 for a 5-2 score line with William Hill look like a good price to me.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up