Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
In a winner takes all encounter the pressure will be huge on both these men and the result will depend on who keeps their cool in the big moments of the match, i.e. who can hit the crucial doubles.
With each man winning one and losing one so far they sit on two points a-piece, but with the Dutchman edging the leg advantage. That won’t come into play though and whoever wins on Tuesday night will join Mark Walsh in qualifying from Group A.
Both men have shown that they are in good nick as they have each defeated reigning champion Scott Waites to leave him floundering at the bottom of the group. This was clear coming into the tournament as O’Shea won the Northern Ireland Open less than two weeks ago, and Mighty Mike qualified for the World Youth Championship Final the same weekend.
The former World Masters champion Van Gerwen has the edge over his much older opponent as he has won both previous encounters between the two, but as the last clash was over five years ago, the form book has been substantially re-written since then.
Most bookmakers are making O’Shea the slight favourite for the clash, although others can’t separate the two at all and have them as equal chance to pick up the win.
Given the tight nature of the match-up, the likelihood that it will last nine legs, and the fact that O’Shea alone hit five 180s in his last contest, odds of 11/10 with SkyBet for there to be over 3.5 maximums looks pretty good to me.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up