Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
A real high class affair from the opening round of matches as two thoroughbreds of the game step forward to the oche in Group E, in what will be a key match, as the predatory shark that is Phil Taylor is swimming in the same pool.
The fact that most would class 2011 as a bad year for Mervyn King is a testament to how well he has performed in recent times as he has still earned huge amounts of prize money, with five figure cheques arrowing his way on three separate occasions in the last 12 months.
Arguably more significantly, though, was the six grand he picked up in Benidorm just two weeks ago for winning a hugely competitive Players Championship, his first since January, which shows he is coming into the Grand Slam in fine form.
Steve Beaton hasn’t had the peaks and troughs that Merv has suffered over the last year, but he has been an unbelievably consistent performer as in the last 17 Players Championships, he has only failed to reach the last 16 on three occasions, suggesting that his 29th in the world ranking is a little false.
The Bronzed Adonis also has very fond memories of the Wolverhampton stage as his run to the semi-finals last year (including a thrilling 16-14 defeat of Taylor) earned him his biggest pay cheque (£25k) since he won the Lakeside World Championship all the way back in 1996.
Last time these two met was just last month though, and it was Mervyn who claimed victory with a 6-0 battering and I think this is as good a sign as any to take the best odds possible on a King win, which is 4/6.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up