Grand Slam Betting: Hankey v White
With Raymond van Barneveld having a hugely disappointing Grand Slam championship Ted Hankey versus Ian White has become a surprise straight knockout in Group B.
For the winner a place in the last 16 beckons, for the loser it’ll go down as a fantastic opportunity missed.
Hankey’s antics in his match against Barney rather soured his win. Despite his calm demeanour after the game, during the match it was all a bit over the top. Playing up to the crowd is one thing, but The Count took it to a level where it began to disrupt the flow of the game and, ultimately, showed great disrespect towards his opponent. The big Dutchman certainly didn’t appreciate it and it affected his game.
If a man of Van Barneveld’s stature and experience can be put off by such antics then questions have to be asked of how White will cope with it. One suspects that because White isn’t such a crowd favourite or household name then the tension surrounding the match won’t be as intense as it was on Sunday evening. However, it will still be tangible.
Because of that I’m suggesting a bet on Hankey to win the match at odds of 8/11 and a bet on Hankey in the handicap (-1.5 legs) at odds of 6/5, both with Bet365. Also, if you’re a darts betting trader then the 85.0 currently available on Hankey to win the Grand Slam over at Betfair looks tempting.
If he wins this Tuesday night’s match then chances are that he’ll go on to meet Mark Walsh in the last 16 – a player he is more than capable of beating. And with Gary Anderson and James Wade potentially facing each other at the last 16 stage the top half of the draw could open up for The Count to make a deep run in the event.
• Taylor v Anderson: Play the obvious 180s markets
• Anderson v Walsh: End of the line for Special Brew
• Taylor v Lewis: Which Lewis will turn up?
• Taylor v Nicholson: Yet another grudge match
• Webster v Lewis: Spider to cast his web
• Anderson v Jenkins: Scotsman to continue flying
• Walsh v Hankey: Count on the experienced player
• Lewis v Part: Merciless Maple to punish any lapses
• Taylor v Newton: Phil to Power in the 180s
• Nicholson v Beaton: The Asset has the advantage
• Jenkins v Jones: The Bull is back
• Van Gerwen v Hankey: Clash of the egos
• Wade v Anderson: Back the consistent Machine
• Newton v Bates: More pain for Champagne
• Stompe v Phillips: Decider to go all the way
• Grand Slam Betting: OShea v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Pipe v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Van der Voort v Phillips
• Grand Slam Betting: Webster v Part
• Grand Slam Betting: Newton v Nicholson
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Dolan
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Chisnall v Jenkins
• Grand Slam Betting: King v Beaton
• Grand Slam Betting: Battle of the Dutch
• Grand Slam Betting: Wade v Chisnall
• Grand Slam Betting: Anderson v Heydon
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites v Van Gerwen
• Grand Slam Betting: Taylor v Hubbard
• Grand Slam Betting: Jenkins v Pipe
• Grand Slam Betting: Waites has Scott what it takes
• Grand Slam of Darts group stage betting
• Whitlock out of Grand Slam
• Caris & Heydon complete GSOD line-up