Anderson v Van Barneveld: Dutchman is most reliable bet
Gary Anderson and Raymond Van Barneveld go head to head, locked on six points each, as both men bid to cement their place in the 2012 Premier League play-off positions. The pair have had mixed fortunes in the tournament so far and will be hoping a victory in Dublin will act as a catalyst to pull ahead in the race for the finals.
Anderson opens up as a marginal favourite at 5/4 while Barney is a 13/10 chance, and the draw on offer as a 9/2 shot may persuade those struggling to split the pair. It may well be Van Barneveld, however, who is playing the more consistent stuff. The Dutchman has a tournament average nine points higher than Anderson, and with a record crowd set to be in attendance Thursday night at the Dublin O2 Arena, this may act as a support to the Dutchman.
Anderson put on a poor display in front of an 8,000-strong vociferous home crowd in Glasgow last week, while Barney kept his cool to pull through against Kevin Painter. BetVictor are also offering up Barneveld as a 4/6 shot with a two-leg handicap in his favour, which looks a safer bet albeit at shorter odds.
There also looks some terrific value to be had in the correct scoring. Odds of 9/1 are on offer for an 8-6 Barney win. Anderson has already lost twice so far by this scoreline with Van Barneveld notching up an 8-6 victory against Andy Hamilton in week 4.
Both players have shown their best and worst throughout the tournament, but the Dutchman has been the overall less reckless of the two in terms of performance differential, and with his comfort with the big crowd, he looks the best bet here.
• Lewis v Hamilton: Jackpot to roll on
• Wade v Whitlock: Back the maximums
• Painter v Taylor: A potential whitewash
• Hamilton v Whitlock: A grudge match with no grudge
• Taylor v Wade: Machine can handle Power
• Lewis v Painter: Do or die time for Jackpot
• Anderson v Whitlock: Aussie to spoil the party
• Wade v Lewis: Revenge of the Machine
• Taylor v Hamilton: No relent in Power surge
• Van Barneveld v Painter: A Scottish homecoming
• 20/1 for another record-breaking average
• Painter v Hamilton: Tight match too close to call
• Lewis v Whitlock: Another Jackpot draw
• Wade v Barney: Form lines favour Dutchman
• Taylor v Anderson: Value in Power 180s