Adams v Stone: Champ to cruise through
Martin ‘Wolfie’ Adams will be another red hot favourite as he takes on unseeded Scot Gary Stone in his bid for a third successive crown at the Lakeside.
The reigning BDO Champion is a heavy 1/5 on to defeat Stone who is given little chance of pulling off the upset at 9/2. Adams was a comfortable 3-0 victor in round one despite never getting out of second gear against Scott Mitchell, and should once again have too much for his opponent in the shape of debutant Stone. Although the Scotsman is expected to provide a stiffer challenge, Adams has the tools in his locker to significantly up his performance if need be.
Adams often struggles to get going against perceived much weaker opponents where he is heavily favoured. Wolfie averaged a mediocre 90 by his standards in his victory over Mitchell. The man from Market Deeping also only posted a best average of 92 at last year's tournament and it could be said he hasn't been able to post a high three dart average due to the poor competition often on offer.
That being said it shouldn't be made to look like the BDO number 1 is on the decline having posted a 100 average in a rare defeat to Scott Waites at the World Masters, as well as defeating PDC World Champion Adrian Lewis in a 25-leg exhibition match. If Stone offers any sort of major threat, Adams should still have more than enough to beat the qualifier from Airdrie.
Infact, going back all the way to Adams last defeat at Lakeside to Ted Hankey in 2009, only one of his victories has been by a single set, against John Walton last year, with every other victory being a margin of two or more sets. Boylesports go a very generous 4/5 that Adams comes home with a 2.5 set advantage.
• O'Shea v Kist: A worthy final to savour
• Hankey v Kist: Terrible Ted too tough for Kist
• O'Shea v Harms: The year of the Silverback
• Kist v Norris: Dutch delight for Vroomshoop flinger
• Hankey v Atkins: Count to take out the Assassin
• Harms v Jennings: Sparky has lit up Lakeside
• O'Shea v Adams: Wolf to tame Silverback
• Waites v Hankey: You can Count on Ted
• Kist v De Vos: Dutchman to Kist the lipstick
• Winstanley v Norris: Chuck your money Over The Top
• O'Shea v Montgomery: Ross to Boss the 180s
• Green v Harms: Seeded duo to go all the way
• Van de Pas v Norris: Chuck to use experience
• Winstanley v Ten Berge: Over The Top of the 180s
• Waites v Boulton: Waites has Scott the lot
• Hankey v Barden: Out for the Count
• Phillips v Harms: Welshman to keep Wes at Harms length
• Adams v Mitchell: First round tester for the champ
• Fitton v Green: Dazzling Darryl to get off to a flyer