Adams v Mitchell: First round tester for the champ
Martin Adams begins the defence of his BDO World Championship title with an opening round match against Scott Mitchell. Should Wolfie successfully defend his crown then he would become only the second player in Lakeside history to win three consecutive titles.
But he comes into the tournament at a time when his number one status in the organisation is under serious threat. Scott Waites is now breathing down his neck and only marginally behind him in the Order of Merit, while Dean Winstanley could also overtake him at the top depending upon results at Frimley Green this week.
Although WDF World Cup final and semi-final appearances at the World Masters and Zuiderduin Masters can hardly be described as a disappointing year, the fact that he lost to Waites in each of those tournaments adds further credence to the idea of a changing of the guard in the BDO.
Mr BDO hasn’t lost a first round match at Lakeside since 2004 and it’s unlikely that he will do so here. However, he’ll need to be on his game against Mitchell (of invisible dog walk-on fame) who took Adams to a final set decider when they met in Holland last month.
• O'Shea v Kist: A worthy final to savour
• Hankey v Kist: Terrible Ted too tough for Kist
• O'Shea v Harms: The year of the Silverback
• Kist v Norris: Dutch delight for Vroomshoop flinger
• Hankey v Atkins: Count to take out the Assassin
• Harms v Jennings: Sparky has lit up Lakeside
• O'Shea v Adams: Wolf to tame Silverback
• Waites v Hankey: You can Count on Ted
• Kist v De Vos: Dutchman to Kist the lipstick
• Winstanley v Norris: Chuck your money Over The Top
• Adams v Stone: Champ to cruise through
• O'Shea v Montgomery: Ross to Boss the 180s
• Green v Harms: Seeded duo to go all the way
• Van de Pas v Norris: Chuck to use experience
• Winstanley v Ten Berge: Over The Top of the 180s
• Waites v Boulton: Waites has Scott the lot
• Hankey v Barden: Out for the Count
• Phillips v Harms: Welshman to keep Wes at Harms length
• Fitton v Green: Dazzling Darryl to get off to a flyer