World title odds slashed as Taylor bounces back
Odds on Phil Taylor winning a 16th World title have been slashed after the world number one ended his Major drought with victory at the Players Championship Finals in Minehead on Sunday.
The Power is now a 2/1 chance with Sky Bet to lift the world title on New Year’s Day at Alexandra Palace, having been available to back at odds of 7/2 prior to the weekend’s event.
It wasn’t all plain sailing for the world number one and he was in fact on the brink of elimination in the quarter-finals against Andy Hamilton. The Hammer was seemingly cruising towards the finishing line when 9-5 up in the race to 10, but lost five legs on the bounce, including making a complete hash of a 60 checkout to win the match, to hand victory to The Power.
From there on in, Taylor never looked back. Simon Whitlock had been imperious in the early part of the weekend, but crumbled at the semi-final stage hitting just 13% of his doubles and succumbing 11-2 to The Power.
In the final Kim Huybrechts stood between Taylor and a first Major title since July. The Belgian held his own in the early exchanges and they went in to the second ad break locked at 5-5, but that would be the end of Huybrechts charge as Taylor pulled away to win 13-6.
“I'm chuffed to bits to have won this," Taylor told PDC.tv. "It's a really tough day and to win three matches and take the title is a big challenge, so I'm over the moon.
“It's been a tough day today. Winning against Andy Hamilton was probably my greatest escape and it's been an unbelievable day to be honest.
“Kim came into the final full of confidence but I wanted to keep putting him under pressure and making him think and eventually I got on top of him.
“He's got a huge future in the game and whoever plays him in the World Championship will be scared of him now. He'll be in loads more finals in the future.”
Betfred offer odds of 40/1 on Huybrechts winning the world title this winter, while Michael van Gerwen’s odds have been relaxed with a lot of bookmakers following his second round defeat to Hamilton. The Dutchman can now be backed at a best price of 5/1 with Sportingbet.
• Phil Taylor v Michael van Gerwen betting
• James Wade v Michael van Gerwen betting
• Phil Taylor v Raymond van Barneveld betting
• Favourites to keep on winning
• Two epics in prospect on Friday
• Artist to brush the champion aside
• Newton to down Special Brew
• The Bull could charge through Hamilton
• Beaton could push Wade all the way
• Favourites to prosper on Saturday night
• The Rocket could soar against the Artist
• Part and Bull to go the distance
• Comfortable afternoons for Hammer and Chizzy
• Kellett to KO Big Vince
• Priestley to roll back the years
• King and Winstanley set for five sets
• Everybody loves Raymond
• Rodriguez or Bowles to steal the show
• Dolan to continue stellar form
• Part and Cullen could deliver an epic
• Hendriks to strike the right note against Jones
• Don't expect whitewashes on night one
• Big finishes & big averages to come
• Mighty Mike can rule the world
• Hammer has sights set on title
• 9/4 Taylor turns The Power back on