Saturday afternoon to be a 180-fest
Saturday afternoon features arguably the three greatest 180-hiitters on the planet and with the trio in fabulous form ahead of the weekend they should not disappoint in what should be a stunning session of darts.
The headline act sees tournament favourite Michael van Gerwen take on Gary Anderson in what is certain to be a maximum-fest. In his two games thus far MVG has hit 14 of them and whilst Anderson has only nailed five, he has hit an awful lot of 140s and could easily convert them into maximums when properly pushed. The Scot has not really had too much competition from either Mark Dudbridge or Brendan Dolan in his first two rounds.
The Dutchman is hot favourite and Ando will really need to be at his very best to upset the odds. However, he does look to be somewhere near that so we could be in for a classic in the last 16. Whoever wins though the 180s are guaranteed and over 13.5 looks good value at EVENS with Sky Bet.
There will be plenty more perfect darts in the first match of the evening between Adrian Lewis and Mervyn King. Lewis holds the records for most maximums in a single tournament when he registered 60 on route to the 2011 title and with his form looking fantastic he will notch a fair few more on Saturday afternoon.
King is no slouch on the maximums either with nine already over his first two games and given that he is playing very well then he could win enough legs to allow more 180s to be hit. The same bet in this one looks a tempter with over 13.5 180s available at EVENS with Bet365.
The other clash of the daytime session between James Wade and Devon Petersen will not have the same quality as the others but it could be equally as exciting with it potentially going down to the wire. Wade has managed to concede five sets over his matches with Darren Webster and Andy Smith so far and is very lucky indeed to still be in the competition.
Petersen has done brilliantly to not just beat but hammer both Steve Beaton and Justin Pipe and there will be some thinking he can cause another upset against the Machine as well. The tenacity of Wade makes him difficult to bet against though and it is safer to predict the length of this one rather than the result. Over 5.5 sets looks good value at 6/5 with Paddy Power.
Michael van Gerwen v Gary Anderson over 13.5 180s @ EVENS with Sky Bet
Adrian Lewis v Mervyn King over 13.5 180s @ EVENS with Bet365
James Wade v Devon Petersen over 5.5 sets @ 6/5 with Paddy Power
• MVG must hit the heights to beat Wright
• Lewis to get the better of MVG
• Wade and Lewis set for another classic
• Newton can out-180 Wright
• Whitlock and Painter to fire in the maximums
• Pipe to win dance-off with Petersen
• Jackpot and Dutch Destroyer to turn on the style
• Part no pushover for Newton
• Painter and Nicholson to go all the way
• Taylor bullied and beaten by Smith
• Burnett can push the Hammer in round two
• Barney and Caven could produce classic
• Webster in trouble against Suljovic
• Bomber Brown to destroy Smith
• MVG and Whitlock to stroll through
• Baxter to be swamped by Evans
• Caven to out Klaas Jelle
• Nicholson and Kellett could go all the way
• Walsh in trouble against Komula
• Wright and Cullen can steal the show
• Taylor will prove he is still King of the world