Everybody loves Raymond
A 3-0 win and 108.31 three-dart average has forced bookmakers to slash their odds on Raymond van Barneveld winning a sixth world championship title this winter.
The Dutchman dropped just one leg in his first round match against Michael Smith, hitting eight 180s and 75% of his darts at a finishing double. Now Paddy Power have been forced to cut their odds on Barney lifting the Sid Waddell trophy on New Year’s day from 16/1 to just 7/1.
Phil Taylor’s odds have drifted slightly from 2/1 to 9/4 after he failed to impress in his victory over Michael Mansell, while Gary Anderson is now 12/1, from 16/1, after he battled well to shake off the attentions of the impressive Jani Haavisto on Sunday night.
“I feel like the happiest man in darts right now because I'm playing to a high standard and producing good averages,” said Barney after his win on Sunday evening.
“When I lost here in the first round last year, it was the most disappointing moment of my career. It gave me motivation for 2012 and my hard work on the practice board has been paying off over the last month or so.
“I've been watching the other matches at home before coming here and the impression I got is that everyone was looking scared and not playing to their potential - but this is the World Championship, so come and play your best game!
“I feel great and if I can keep playing at this level then I can beat anyone.”
• Phil Taylor v Michael van Gerwen betting
• James Wade v Michael van Gerwen betting
• Phil Taylor v Raymond van Barneveld betting
• Favourites to keep on winning
• Two epics in prospect on Friday
• Artist to brush the champion aside
• Newton to down Special Brew
• The Bull could charge through Hamilton
• Beaton could push Wade all the way
• Favourites to prosper on Saturday night
• The Rocket could soar against the Artist
• Part and Bull to go the distance
• Comfortable afternoons for Hammer and Chizzy
• Kellett to KO Big Vince
• Priestley to roll back the years
• King and Winstanley set for five sets
• Rodriguez or Bowles to steal the show
• Dolan to continue stellar form
• Part and Cullen could deliver an epic
• Hendriks to strike the right note against Jones
• Don't expect whitewashes on night one
• Big finishes & big averages to come
• Mighty Mike can rule the world
• Hammer has sights set on title
• 9/4 Taylor turns The Power back on
• World title odds slashed as Taylor bounces back