Burnett can push the Hammer in round two
The first match of Saturday evening could be a real gem as Andy Hamilton takes on Richie Burnett for a place in the third round of the World Championships. The Hammer is the clear favourite to progress but an in-form Burnett will certainly be making this tighter than some expect.
The Welshman looked fantastic in round one as he saw-off Dean Winstanley and he has a good record against Hamilton having beaten him twice this year already. The former world champion looks a big price at 12/5 with Sporting Bet but it is always risky to back against the Hammer in major competition. It will be a tight contest, of that there is little doubt, and over 5.5 sets being played looks great value at 4/5 with Bet365.
One clash that will not be so close is the one between Robert Thornton and Beau Anderson with the Scot a tiny best price of 1/9 with William Hill to eliminate the Australian. Anderson may have pulled off a pretty major shock in round one over Colin Lloyd but Jaws is not in good form and the 83 average that the Aussie produced would not worry Thornton at all.
He may not be in Thornton’s league but he showed he is still an excellent player against Lloyd on his World Championship debut. Anderson hit four maximums as he saw off Jaws and Thornton is also prolific on the 180s. Over 8.5 maximums in their second round clash is EVENS with William Hill whilst it is odds-on elsewhere and that looks a fabulous price.
Finally on Saturday comes a battle between Kim Huybrechts and Ian White which, must like the first meeting of the evening could be a very edgy affair. Some are tipping the Belgian to do very well this tournament but he is not really playing his best darts at the moment and could struggle against the impressive Ian White.
Diamond is capable of pushing anyone in the world these days and played fantastically in round one showing he is ready to face the Hurricane on Saturday. White could prove great value at 15/8 with Boyle Sports but a safer punt will be over 5.5 sets which looks absolutely nailed on at 8/11 with Stan James.
Richie Burnett v Andy Hamilton over 5.5 sets @ 4/5 with Bet365
Robert Thornton v Beau Anderson over 8.5 180s @ EVENS with William Hill
Kim Huybrechts v Ian White over 5.5 sets @ 8/11 with Stan James
• MVG must hit the heights to beat Wright
• Lewis to get the better of MVG
• Wade and Lewis set for another classic
• Newton can out-180 Wright
• Saturday afternoon to be a 180-fest
• Whitlock and Painter to fire in the maximums
• Pipe to win dance-off with Petersen
• Jackpot and Dutch Destroyer to turn on the style
• Part no pushover for Newton
• Painter and Nicholson to go all the way
• Taylor bullied and beaten by Smith
• Barney and Caven could produce classic
• Webster in trouble against Suljovic
• Bomber Brown to destroy Smith
• MVG and Whitlock to stroll through
• Baxter to be swamped by Evans
• Caven to out Klaas Jelle
• Nicholson and Kellett could go all the way
• Walsh in trouble against Komula
• Wright and Cullen can steal the show
• Taylor will prove he is still King of the world