Barney and Caven could produce classic
The second round of the World Championships begins with a bang on Friday night with the world number one in action but the highlight of the evening is undoubtedly the clash between Raymond van Barneveld and Jamie Caven.
These two both performed brilliantly in round one and have each had very decent seasons so this could really not just be the standout contest of the night but of the round as a whole. Barney is rightly favourite but as long as Jabba keeps up his current form then this could be a very close one indeed.
They have met twice this year on tour with each man winning one contest but with both going all the way to 6-5 which shows how little there has been between them this season. The number of legs market looks to be the best market then given their recent history and there is certainly good value there. Over 23.5 legs is available at 11/10 with Ladbrokes and that looks very feasible. In a race to four there should definitely be six sets and that will more than likely cover this bet.
What is not expected to be as close is the clash between Phil Taylor and Michael Smith for which the Power is 1/33 with Boyle Sports. Smith was pretty awful in round one but he was not facing much competition and still did more than enough to progress so he will improve because he is a far better player than his 79 average suggests.
However, Taylor is likely to improve on his 96.6 average as well and he will not be planning on dropping a set as he did against Rob Szabo first up. The Power will be annoyed that he did not lay down a significant marker in round one and he will be ready to show what he is made of against Smith. Under 19.5 legs is available at 5/6 with Ladbrokes which allows Smith to win seven or less and that looks good value.
The first match of the evening sees Peter Wright take on one of the stars of the first round Per Laursen. Wright is the hot favourite and will win this one but the Dane showed what he can do against Terry Jenkins and will not be blown away. There is not a great deal of value here but to kick the evening off with a safe bet back over 4.5 sets at 4/9 with Bet365.
Peter Wright v Per Laursen over 4.5 sets @ 4/9 with Bet365
Raymond van Barneveld v Jamie Caven over 23.5 legs @ 11/10 with Ladbrokes
Phil Taylor v Michael Smith under 19.5 legs @ 5/6 with Ladbrokes
• MVG must hit the heights to beat Wright
• Lewis to get the better of MVG
• Wade and Lewis set for another classic
• Newton can out-180 Wright
• Saturday afternoon to be a 180-fest
• Whitlock and Painter to fire in the maximums
• Pipe to win dance-off with Petersen
• Jackpot and Dutch Destroyer to turn on the style
• Part no pushover for Newton
• Painter and Nicholson to go all the way
• Taylor bullied and beaten by Smith
• Burnett can push the Hammer in round two
• Webster in trouble against Suljovic
• Bomber Brown to destroy Smith
• MVG and Whitlock to stroll through
• Baxter to be swamped by Evans
• Caven to out Klaas Jelle
• Nicholson and Kellett could go all the way
• Walsh in trouble against Komula
• Wright and Cullen can steal the show
• Taylor will prove he is still King of the world